Boston Bruins forward Milan Lucic is taking an “indefinite leave of absence” from the team, the Bruins said Saturday, adding the club is aware of a “situation” involving Lucic on Friday evening.
“The organization takes these matters very seriously, and we will work with the Lucic family to provide any support and assistance they may need,” the Bruins said in a statement. “We will have no further comment at this time.”
The Bruins did not provide more details about the incident. The NHL did not immediately respond to a request for comment.
Bruins coach Jim Montgomery addressed the situation Saturday before Boston’s game against the Montreal Canadiens, reiterating the information the team provided in their statement.
“It’s not a normal day,” Montgomery said. “But we’re professionals, and we have a game to play tonight.”
— Boston Bruins (@NHLBruins) November 18, 2023
Lucic, 35, spent eight seasons with the Bruins from 2007 to 2015. He returned to Boston on a one-year deal during the offseason after stints with the Los Angeles Kings, Edmonton Oilers and Calgary Flames. Lucic has two assists through four games with the Bruins this season.
The Bruins placed Lucic on long-term injured reserve last month after he took a puck to the ankle against the Los Angeles Kings on Oct. 21.
Through 16-plus seasons in the league and 1,177 career games, Lucic has notched 233 goals and 353 assists.
This story will be updated as more information becomes available.
(Photo: Richard T Gagnon / Getty Images)