It’s Apple event day, and that means lots of new hardware. Are you ready for a new iPhone, new Apple Watch and possibly an update on Vision Pro? Don’t have time to tune in live? That’s ok — we’re summing up the most important parts of the event below. You can also catch the live blog from our team on the ground in Apple Park.
Apple Watch Series 9
Apple has officially unveiled its latest wearable. The new smartwatch is powered by the new S9 chip, which the company claims is 60% faster, coupled with a 30% faster GPU. The Apple Watch Series 9 will be available for pre-order Tuesday before going on sale on Sept. 22.
- Redesigned on the inside, giving it a boost in performance and capabilities. It is the “most powerful watch chip yet,” according to Deidre Caldbeck, director of Apple Watch Product Marketing.
- Dictation is up to 25% better.
- New features – access health data with Siri, Name Drop, which allows users to share personal information when close to another user with the device and Double Tap, which controls your watch with the tap of your index finger and thumb on the hand you wear the watch.
- Ability to ping your iPhone.
- Double the brightness.
- The company’s first carbon neutral product.
- It also comes in pink!
- Cost: Starting at $399
Read more on the Apple Watch Series 9.
Apple Watch Ultra 2
In addition to the new Series 9, the company morning announced an update to last year’s Apple Watch Ultra. The Apple Watch Series 9 will be available for pre-order Tuesday before going on sale on Sept. 22.
- Also gets the S9 chip, can do the double tap, on-device Siri, and precision-finding to find your iPhone.
- New advanced display architecture.
- Modular Ultra – customizable watch face.
- Power zones for data-collecting during exercise.
- Log water dives – #priorities.
- Cost: Starting at $799
Apple also unveiled the next generation of iPhone models. Available for pre-order on Sept. 22 and available in stores next week.
- Super Retina XDR and A16 bionic chip.
- Peak brightness.
- Comes in two sizes – iPhone 15 and iPhone 15 Plus.
- New contour edge and color embedded throughout the phone. The phone comes in five colors.
- New advanced camera system, including 48 megapixels, auto portrait mode and recording in 4K capability.
- Easier capability connecting with friends through location share.
- Voice isolation capability.
- Road Side Assistance and Emergency SOS.
- Cost: Starting at $799
iPhone 15 Pro
The iPhone 15 is the “most Pro iPhone we’ve ever created,” according to Apple. Available for pre-order on Sept. 22 and available in stores next week.
- Now comes in titanium!
- New software features with gaming in mind.
- “More repairable” back glass.
- New Action button replaces Mute and is now programmable.
- Addition of the new A17 Pro chip with a three-nanometer process.
- Pro camera features multiple lenses, with the company saying it is the equivalent of having seven camera lenses and 48 megapixels.
- Cost: Starting at $999
It’s official! The iPhone is getting a USB-C connector. Also, find out what that unlocks.